Pages





Monday 26 April 2010

FOLLOW-UP | ASHTANGA YOGA

I was met by a discrete citrusy scent as I entered Puroyoga  in Bygdøy Allé in Oslo. It looks nothing like a yoga school from the outside - just an ordinary entrance.

They do advice you to have completed a Level 1 Ashtanga yoga course in order to attend the drop-in classes. I haven't been practicing yoga in a couple of years and I may have overestimated my yoga-skills...

I put down my mat on the floor, lay down and tried to concentrate on my breathing as we waited for the class to start. It was a tad too warm in the room, but I figured they would turn on the airconditioning or open a window before we got started. (I was mistaken).

We stood up as the class started and began with an opening chant. All I could contribute with was the "OOOOM". I must admit that I did find this somewhat funny and was giggeling a bit inside. I know, I wasn't being terribly serious at that point, but I really tried getting into a "yoga-mode".


The class more or less followed the Primary series postures outlined in this illustration.

Suffice to say that it was hard work, and I was boiling. The heat of the room and the fast pace by which we switched between the poses made it feel like a proper work-out. Ashtanga yoga required concentration (breathing, changing poses as well as doing it right), flexibility and strenght. My concentration span isn't the best, I am quite supple (it became painfully clear that I am not equaly flexible all over) and I have been doing some weight training for a while so I managed ok strenght-wise.

The instructor demonstrated all the poses and she also went around guiding us. She was encouraging yet calm. Thumbs up for the instructor. Having attended various classes throughout the past 10 years has made me realised that whether you like your instructor's method or not matters a great deal - it can really put you off a class if you don't enjoy the instructor's way of doing things.

The conclusion thus is that the level 1 course is a prerequisite for anyone who would like to learn ashtanga yoga. I would even consider starting on scratch again even if I did practice yoga on and off for 2 or 3 years.

Attending this class made me aware of my physical limitations at the same time as I felt more relaxed and exhausted - but in a good way.

0 comments:

Post a Comment